permaculture - Re: [permaculture] useful plant newsgroups, pond blog

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sustain_ability@123mail.org
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] useful plant newsgroups, pond blog
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:53:51 -0500

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:33:06 -0500, "Lawrence F. London, Jr."
<lfl@intrex.net> said:
> sustain_ability@123mail.org wrote:

> > redeeming features, and I was looking at fish farming as a way out.
>
> That may be well worth trying. What climatic zone are you in:
> trout, bass or tilapia country?

Climactic zone: likely 3a; very short growing season. Trout is being
raised in a year-round commercial greenhouse operation in the same
geographic area, but it took years to tweak (using university muscle).
My neighbor's fish died last summer from the heat - but his pond is
exposed to the harsh mid-day sun.

I plan to dig/excavate my pond in the shade of the forest, provided I am
able to "sound" the soil structure with a sharp metal pole for adequate
depth and width. It sounds complicated and it is (or will be, if I ever
start) because of the predominance of rocks and boulders. (Raising small
animals is (or was in olden times) the only way to get some protein
(other than hunting)).

Another quirk: the latitude is quite southerly, so there's enough
insolation. But the official growing season is still very short.