permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Libraries of standard designs?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Libraries of standard designs?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:54:22 -1000

Aloha,

Some more on catchment - the Texas Rainwater Harvesting Manual has a 3rd edition out just last year, available free here:

http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/publications/reports/RainHarv.pdf

See also publications from Oasis Designs (Art Ludwig, another arid-region designer) - his recently published "Water Storage" book is excellent on all the storage aspects, and they are working on an upcoming catchment book. His greywater books are also excellent.

For about the ultimate detail on catchment, see "Rainwater Catchment Systems for Domestic Supply - design, construction and implementation" by John Gould and Erik Nissen-Petersen. Ludwig and the latest Texas guide and others all mention this as a reference. I have it - it may be overkill for your one project, but if you are intending to work with others, especially regulators who want lots of authoritative sources, it could be useful to have.

BTW ignore all those Rube Goldberg first-flush diverters in Mollison's books and derivatives thereof. Use a variation of the simple no-moving-parts standpipe design shown in the the above references.
The Texas guide illustrates an IMO poor cleanout design with access via a plug at the bottom(!) of the standpipe, which is silly unless your standpipe bottom is up in the air and supported fully from above and/or sides. Much simpler to let it rest on the ground and use a standard sweep 90 deg. cleanout at the bottom, with cleanout access plug (threaded) and self-draining hole or tap to the side. That's what I've got anyhow.

cheers,
John S.

Robert Waldrop wrote:
Are there libraries of standard designs out there? I keep seeing the concept in Mollison's work referring to small pieces of permaculture design that can be plugged into a design report. I am aware of the standard designs available through Yankee Permaculture/Dan Hemenway, but I don't think I have ever seen any elsewhere.

I am particularly interested in a standard design for rainwater harvesting of a square building.

Bob Waldrop, working on his own permaculture design report in Oklahoma City