permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Groundnut, apios americana

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Groundnut, apios americana
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 03:00:54 -0500 (EST)

I've planted a few tubers of the local wild type in a naturalized park
here in St. Catharines in the Niagara Peninsula, Agriculture Canada zone
7a, near the northern limit of commericial peach growing.

>From observation and report, yields seem to be low. I haven't seen any
seeds so far, but this might be due to strain or climate. It has been
suggested to me that plants farther south may produce seed better.

>From observation and report; they seem to strongly prefer moist soil.

I get the impression that in the wild they may be mostly an edge plant
although I see places where they grow in full sun.

I've been told of both squirrels and deer digging them up.

I've read that a couple of scientists in the southerm U.S. have been
trying to breed them as a commercial crop.

I've been told that the original Puritan settlers in New England
depended heavily on ground-nut in their earliest days.

I surmise that both the first Eurpean settlers and their pigs (normally
allowed to run in the woods) must have drastically reduced the
population of ground-nut. I surmise also that the natives had learned to
manage them and knew how much they could collect without damaging the
stands.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada