permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Groundnut, apios americana

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Groundnut, apios americana
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:16:20 -0500

Keith Johnson wrote:

Cornucopia lists 10 cultivars of ground nut and goes further to say that the sweet starchy tubers are eaten raw, boiled, fried, roasted, or otherwise perpared like patatoes. They can be added to soups, stews, and casseroles, or mashed and used in breads. I've eaten them raw and cooked and have grown them and harvested wild ones. I'd start with some of the named cultivars first if I wanted to grow them. One of my clients has them growing in her highbush blueberries, though I'd probably let them crawl on something else like ornamentals. The floweres are fragrant and pea-like followed by seedpods. The tuber is also a propagation unit. It grows wild over most of the eastern US, mostly growing near streams.

Then there's "nutgrass", considered a weed. It has straight grasslike leaves
growing in a clump with small oblong underground tubers attached to the root
system or perhaps runners.
I think it propagates itself by runners or maybe they are actually rhizomes.
Is this an edible plant?