permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Groundnut, apios americana

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Groundnut, apios americana
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:31:45 -0500

Cornucopia lists 10 cultivars of ground nut and goes further to say that the
sweet starchy tubers are eaten raw, boiled, fried, roasted, or otherwise
perpared like patatoes. They can be added to soups, stews, and casseroles, or
mashed and used in breads. I've eaten them raw and cooked and have grown them
and harvested wild ones. I'd start with some of the named cultivars first if
I wanted to grow them. One of my clients has them growing in her highbush
blueberries, though I'd probably let them crawl on something else like
ornamentals. The floweres are fragrant and pea-like followed by seedpods. The
tuber is also a propagation unit. It grows wild over most of the eastern US,
mostly growing near streams.

Marimike6@cs.com wrote:

Is there some reason this doesn't get talked about much, or am I missing some problem with it? N-fixing and 17% protein! Is it any
good? Seems like I hear from time to time about various lost crops of the incas but not about this lost crop of the native north americans...

Lawrence asks, "Isn't there a lot of work involved in making it 1) palatable 2) safe to eat? Maybe it is used to make flour."
Cornucopia

Checked by AVG Free Edition.