permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Groundnut, apios americana

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jill <newsforjill@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Groundnut, apios americana
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:01:45 -0500

I had apios volunteering at my place in NC. It's a great plant! A diminutive vine, it climbs up neighbors without causing them any difficulty. The flowers are GORGEOUS!! And the beans are quite tasty, maybe most like lentils. I never got around to digging the tubers, but I think I read that you can prepare them like potatoes. There's some good info here: http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/groundnt.php and I've posted a not very good picture of it on the frappr site at http://www.frappr.com/permaculture/photos/0.

Jill