permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Groundnut, apios americana

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Wages" <jwages@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Groundnut, apios americana
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:04:04 -0600

This website has some information on A. americana:
http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/The_Forager/hopniss.htm

There is another edible Apios that is a threatened species: A. priceana
(Price's potato bean vine). Whereas A. americana produces many tubers per
plant, priceana produces only one, but it is large. There is a stand of
priceana not far from where I live
(http://nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/mississippi/preserves/art
1297.html), but I have not yet been there. Apparently, the immature seed
pods are edible like green beans. More info. on A. priceana:
http://www.centerforplantconservation.org/ASP/CPC_ViewProfile.asp?CPCNum=149

Oikos Tree Crops has improved cultivars of A. americana that were developed
in Louisiana: www.oikostreecrops.com.

John Wages
Tupelo, MS