permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 36, Issue 54

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Heather " <Heather@ecoversity.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 36, Issue 54
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:57:54 -0700

Yes, we are selfish, and human nature does not change as rapidly as the
environment is going to do as a result of our consumptive character.
One of the things I have been coming to grips with in my own life
lately, is the inevitability of our own self-destruction. As I read the
permaculture designer's manual, there seems to be an inherent assumption
that by doing this work, there is at least the possibility of making a
difference. I think most of us come to this path out of sensitivity to
the pain of our environment, and a will to heal. If we accept the fact
of our ultimate demise as a species, then it puts an interesting twist
on permaculture activism. Like being a medic who patches wounds in
preparation for an execution. On a personal level I feel the need to do
this work, as it feels like right action. On a social level, I am in
the process of giving up on feeling the need to "save" anyone or
anything. Carlos Castenada's books come to mind and I realize that my
death and the death of humanity are sitting very close beside me on my
mat these days.

I don't want to nullify the discussion about good solutions by drawing
attention to the potential pointlessness of finding any. I think we
need to act regardless of the fruits of our action because it is most
true to our nature as permaculturists. But to wish for any sort of
panacea for our mistakes, or to begrudge those who are trying to find
easy solutions seems to only beleaguer our dilemma.

I'd like to see conversations about the design problem that global
warming represents, and the need for futuristic designs that do not
include cars, petroleum, ethanol, etc...

Thanks.