permaculture - Re: [permaculture] diy compost toilet inside the house

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Don" <ujgs@4dirs.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] diy compost toilet inside the house
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:30:39 -0700

My experience of a lady in Tucson Arizona is that a simple box large enouth to contain two 5 gallon paint buckets with a bit of room to spare is all you need.
One bucket is used as everyone normally does, poop and pee, plus paper. then cover all with sawdust (from the other bucket). when kept covered there is no smell. after use I would advise striking a match to comsume all methane in the room and for sure no smell.
now comes the harder part, the full bucket will have to be set outside and composted in the bucket for at least a year sometimes two depending on the weather. In rainy places keep covered.
For this one lady it was easy, for a family it would be hard.
Don
----- Original Message ----- From: "marijana@kneja" <marijana@kneja.hr>