permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Jean Pain and "forest thicket compost"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Fritz <johnfritz77@yahoo.com>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Jean Pain and "forest thicket compost"
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:01:39 -0800 (PST)

The course I did was the splinter-group that headed to the homestead of one
of the students (in Occidental) when Mollison and Scott Pittman were told to
leave the original site (a story in itself) which was south of the bay area
(that memory thing). As I remember we did a day trip to OAEC but it was not
the main venue for the course which Bill and Scott taught.

John Fritz.

John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net> wrote:
Aloha,

> Hi. My name is John Fritz and I am new to the list. I have
> completed the PDC twice, most recently in Occidental, CA in 1997.

Welcome to the list!
Did you do the summer 1997 course at OAEC?
If you did, I was in that one too...?
They say the first thing to go is...is...umm...ahh...dang, I can't
remember... ;-)

> The only obstacle that I can think of (and it is a
> doosy) is the need for 50 tons of such "forest thicket compost" for
> each generating application, per Pain's use. Still I would like to
> determine if the method could be modified for smaller applications.

One potential obstacle is finding a true shredder to shred the material
once you've got it. When I read the article about Pain some years ago
in the PC Activist, it said that part of what made it work was
along-the-grain shredding of the material, which drastically increases
rate of breakdown compared to material that is only cut across the grain
(something to do with exposing way more surface area of lignins or
something like that).

Afaik true shredders are hard to find in N. America - at least last time
I poked around some, which was years ago.
The so-called chipper/shredders readily available don't actually do much
real shredding along the grain. They're more chipper than anything else.

cheers,
John S.