permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Jean Pain and "forest thicket compost"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Richard Archer <permaculture@juggernaut.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Jean Pain and "forest thicket compost"
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:49:25 +1100

At 9:30 AM -0800 13/1/06, John Fritz wrote:

>The only obstacle that I can think of (and it is a doosy) is the need
>for 50 tons of such "forest thicket compost" for each generating
>application, per Pain's use. Still I would like to determine if the
>method could be modified for smaller applications.

This is the first time I have heard of Jean Pain's system, but a
bit of Googling suggests it's just a big biogas digester.

These systems scale down to the size of a beaker, but if you're
going to use it for cooking, heating and power generation you
will need a pretty big unit!

Here's a good reference:
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/MethaneDigesters/MDToC.html

And now you know some more terminology, Google will return a lot
more references.

...Richard.