permaculture - [permaculture] Availability of Jean Pain's book

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jerome Rigot <rigot.3@osu.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Availability of Jean Pain's book
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:09:17 +0100

Hello all,

As mentioned in my very recent posting, Jean Pain's book "Another Kind of Garden" (Les Methodes Jean Pain ou "Un Autre Jardin") as been reprinted (actually an updated, full color edition, version 8th has been published in French) and is available at http://www.jean-pain.com/index_ang.htm

However, only edition #5 in English (black and white), and edition #7 in Spanish (in color) are available.

The book, as indicated by the French title, is a little more then a discussion about a digester. It is more about his system, an integrated approach to sustainable and self-sufficient living, very compatible with permaculture designs.

Considering that the site is not very user friendly, and that even the "English" version is more French then English, I would be happy to help with navigating it.

Jerome

At 02:10 AM 1/15/2006, you wrote:
>From the pictures in the book, Another Kind of Garden, it is indeed a BIG digester. The 50 tons that Pain spoke about does not appear to be an exageration. At the center of this neatly stacked pile was an old water heater tank. Feeding into and out of this tank were coils of tubing that were wrapped around, through the pile, in a circular manner, extracting the heat of the digestion. The heated water was then ciruited into the house, under the floor to heat the house. The book is out of print, was never widely circulated. But I do have some of the info retained for my own use. If anyone has any specific questions I will do my best to answer them based on the info that I retained.

John Fritz.