permaculture - Re: [permaculture] tools, tall

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] tools, tall
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:23:25 -0500

John Schinnerer wrote:

Main problem I have with just everyday tools (shovel, rake, etc.) is that the handles are too short.

I'm taller than average, sure, but nowhere near NBA tall - only 191cm (75.5") - and still, most all shovels and rakes and hoes and brooms and other "stand-up" tools need about another 6-8" of handle to be long enough for me to use comfortably (that is, to use with proper standing posture, keeping my back safe, etc.).
The more affordable the tool, on average, the shorter the handle (with a few happy exceptions).

Years ago I was thinking of starting a "tall tools" specialty, just contracting with existing tool makers to do longer handles.

John, this is a GREAT idea. I am already aware of the need to make longer
handles for tall
folks. Aparently, this is a real issue for them. One of the tools I will first produce will have a 6 foot small diameter handle. In the case of this tool is is more useful for shorter folks too. Its light weight, strong and easily manouverable.

Maybe we'll roll this in with your enterprise, Larry? :-)

We sure could do this, John. Drop by the Ponderosa sometime and we can chat about prospects over a cup of hot green tea in the shop office. Seriously tough, putting longer handles on most of my tools and retrofitting other manufacturers tools with them might be a rewarding enterprise. How far did you get with your business venture and what did you come up
with. I have equipment to produce my own handles. The biggest problem with making them from scratch is finding good wood, curing it and preventing or limiting warpage before and after sales. Ash, oak, maple, walnut, hickory are all good
woods to use for handles.

There was a craftsman in my neighborhood, an old timer farmer, saw sharpener and tool rehandler. His work was museum quality and he use almost no power tools to make his handles. He regularly cut special oak trees into given lenghts
and cured hem outdoors for a time then split them with axe and froe and
sledgehammer. He finished and shaped them
with drawknives and hand carving knives and hand saws. A true crafstman of
the old school.

Cheers & HNY,

LL