permaculture - [permaculture] tools, tall

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] tools, tall
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:45:54 -1000

Aloha,

Main problem I have with just everyday tools (shovel, rake, etc.) is that the handles are too short.

I'm taller than average, sure, but nowhere near NBA tall - only 191cm (75.5") - and still, most all shovels and rakes and hoes and brooms and other "stand-up" tools need about another 6-8" of handle to be long enough for me to use comfortably (that is, to use with proper standing posture, keeping my back safe, etc.).
The more affordable the tool, on average, the shorter the handle (with a few happy exceptions).

Years ago I was thinking of starting a "tall tools" specialty, just contracting with existing tool makers to do longer handles.
Maybe we'll roll this in with your enterprise, Larry? :-)

cheers,
John S.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services