permaculture - Re: [permaculture] human powered tools--water and chipping

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] human powered tools--water and chipping
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:23:46 +1100 (EST)

If you press contact they will deliver any where in the world, money is not
the problem,

Obviously the other Q's are engineering problems that could be resolved
with minimal brain processing functions which unfortunately the people on the
planet are unable or refuse to consider

A friend of mine got three metal palings joined all three together and used
the middle one to snap branches as the two outside ones where held in place

Brilliant Questions

Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net> wrote:
> The bike/stepper water pump is a possibility. Any sufficiently small
> rotary-shaft pump could be hooked to the bike's rotational output.

I should have mentioned that this one does exist. It just doesn't seem to
be available in the northern hemisphere. A sturdy one that looks like one
I'd like to have is the Super version on this page.

http://www.kickstart.org/tech_irrigate.shtml

As for the chipper shreader and people power, would it be possible to do it
with the sort of gearing you'd use to climb a steep hill on a bicycle so it
would be slower than the powered version (like hand turned grain mills are
slower than electric versions) but still effective?

As for the shreader, I've seen some that arborists use to pull behind their
trucks that shred rather than chip. But I don't know about smaller home
versions.

Sharon
gordonse@one.net