permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:35:14 +1100 (EST)

How likley is it that Google will rule the world, it seems that the next
major players wil be the people doing the transactions over the net, so
aproximatley when will Gooogle get controll, and will it be before the world
goes bankrupt from the effects of global warminng by 2045

love and freedom are at the begining

neshura <neshura@gmail.com> wrote:
Just to speak up for the admin...
Spam isn't something you can blame on one list or your email being
publicly available on an archive website somewhere. The longer that an
address has been in continuous use, the greater the gross amount of
spam it will get -- email-list trading over time guarantees increasing
amounts of spam, even if you only gave out your email to a site that
one time eight years ago and now totally regret it.

Every time you use your email as a login on some site that has a fine
print privacy policy that you don't read, chances are quite good that
your email address will be sold or traded as a direct result. (I have
hordes of email addresses, many of which have been retired after
becoming unusable.)

It's no one's responsibility but your own to guard your address and
keep it private (i.e. don't use your real email as a registration for
any sites, bulletin boards, newsletters, discussion groups, or other
online services) if you don't want to get spammed. Ounce of
prevention, etc. etc. As far as cures, I don't work for gmail but I
will totally plug it too -- their spam prevention is good. I get no
more than 10 spam emails a day at most, and my gmail address is
plastered all over the net. I'd put their catch rate at 85%. I've
gotten all my family using it, and the difference between an
unfiltered mailbox from an uncaring ISP versus a gmail account is
night and day -- my mother was getting 100s of spam emails a day
before.

A not-quite-as-revelevant note though -- spam's an annoyance, but if
you find yourself on the receiving end of phishing emails, help out
the phishing-fighters and your fellow netizens by forwarding the
emails: http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.html

Google WILL rule the world some day.