permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:28:04 -0500

treaclemine@intranet.org wrote:
Good afternoon,

I'm no Unix sysadmin, but I do think that everyone has
a responsibility to make sure that _someone_ is blocking spam to their
email account. If you do not have the expertise yourself, there are
plenty of people who can help you - and your ISP have an obligation to
do so.

Your ISP can and will do that. Mine does and I have gottten a lot less spam
since they installed their blocking scripts.

Part of my solution is separate email addresses, but not
everyone can do that, either.

The Internet is a powerful tool, so we need to take time to
make sure we are using it safely.

I repeat, apart from bndwidth wasting and the fact that, short of what your
ISP removes upstream, the spam
will have already arrived in your email before you can spot and delete it. However you can quickly and painlessly locate, tag and very quickly delete it with software such as Mozilla's mail client (Mozilla and Firefox/Thunderbird).
On a scale of 1 to 10 this reduced the aggravation from 8 to .5.

LL