permaculture - [permaculture] Spam & open source was Re: Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Graham <grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Spam & open source was Re: Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:42:43 +0000

I found that Thunderbird needs some training to spot the spam, but now it scrapes away about 90% of the spam before it reaches my inbox. The spam still goes into a 'junk' folder so that I can check that nothing 'genuine' slipped into it before properly deleting, but on the whole its been much more effective than the 'third party' spam filters that I used to use when I still used OE, which used to also delete loads of genuine posts as well as the junk.

I'm still on the slow journey to open source software, mainly using Open Office instead of Word now for writing, and have Ubuntu Linux installed as dual boot, though i still mainly play with it rather than do serious work... (but its only been installed for 2 weeks..) I feel that idealogically I'm committed to the idea of open source, just that making the transition is a slow process- one day, one day... Maybe I feel a bit like a farmer whose tied into agribiz but wants to make the transition to organics/permaculture...

Cheers Graham www.spiralseed.co.uk

I repeat, apart from bndwidth wasting and the fact that, short of what your
ISP removes upstream, the spam
will have already arrived in your email before you can spot and delete it. However you can quickly and painlessly locate, tag and very quickly delete it with software such as Mozilla's mail client (Mozilla and Firefox/Thunderbird).
On a scale of 1 to 10 this reduced the aggravation from 8 to .5.

LL