permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <listmail@lorendavidson.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 07:59:21 -0800

At 5:59 AM -0500 11/26/05, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

If people will take more responsibility for controlling spam in their email themselves
instead of blaming the list and suggesting that the list be crippled they would see better results.

With all due respect...we are not all UNIX sysadmins. We do not all run our own mail servers. And IME, Permaculturists tend to have rather full schedules by definition, and may not have time to *become* mail server experts.

It's an imperfect world, after all.

"Blaming the victim" isn't a particularly helpful attitude to cop, if you ask me. Spam filters, for most of us, only help *after* the spam has been downloaded to the client, which still eats up the client's bandwidth. And no filter is perfect - most either let some spam through or toss stuff you'd rather keep.

Maybe it's true that Mailman has limits re masking email addresses and that you've reached them. You can make that statement without blaming all of us for our own spam. Still, the problem of spambots harvesting email addresses is hardly new; it's been a problem for at least five years. Maybe the folks who write Mailman have a better solution now?

One of my solutions is to have separate email addresses for personal mail and list mail and mail between me and businesses. That way I won't have to replace *all* my email addresses every 2-3 years. Perhaps this technique might help a few of you who, like I, don't have the time to become SMTP gods.

Respectfully,

Loren
--
Loren Davidson listmail@lorendavidson.com