permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Larry Santoyo's Plant List

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Larry Santoyo's Plant List
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:12:44 -0600

You all do know that autumn olives are edible, don't you? I have eaten
about a gallon this year. They are juicy and tart/sweet with soft edible
seeds and a nice thirst quencher when doing things outdoors. Also a friend
has wine from autumn olives going and I tried wine, but I think I am getting
vinegar! :^) Russian Olive is invasive but my sheep and horses cleared
almost a whole pasture of them in Ohio. Supposedly turkeys and other
poultry love them and I am thinking about planting some in my poultry areas.
You are scaring me with all this "invasive" talk. I searched on the
internet and all I found was how to kill them. I don't think that is the
Permaculture way tho. Aren't we supposed to look at it a different way and
call it a resource???

Lisa, in the Ozarks, USA