permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Larry Santoyo's Plant List

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Burns" <burns@panix.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Larry Santoyo's Plant List
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:33:12 -0500 (EST)

Thanks also for the list. I posted it to the local "finger lakes permaculture"
listserv and got the following replies. I don't know enough about the plants
mentioned, or the issues surrounding invasives to comment. Maybe other could?

"I consider Russian and Autumn Olive to be invasive.
I believe one or both are on the invasive plants list of NYIPC.
They also are very strong allelopaths, which could
affect native plants. I hope you'll take it off your list.
Thanks, Barbara"

"Though I have much yet to learn about permaculture, I do know something about
plants, and in particular, non-native invasive plants...several of the species
on this list are non-native and some are considered invasive...if you are
concerned at all about the integrity of natural, native systems, please avoid
planting Elaeagnus angustifolia and E. umbellata, and crownvetch (Coronilla
varia)...

Interested in learning more about plant nativity and invasiveness? A good
place to start is http://plants.usda.gov/.

--Anna Stalter"

Michael Burns
http://www.cayuta.org
Earn your permaculture design certificate.
The Finger Lakes Permacuture Institute
begins its first course on November 18.
Go to: http://www.flpci.org