permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Larry Santoyo's Plant List

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Larry Santoyo's Plant List
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 01:18:55 -0500

FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:

Hi,
I must have missed the post with Larry's list would someone be kind enough to re post that email, or post the URL where it can be found. Thanks. Frank in KY

Ah, Frank. Good to see you posting here again. Tell us what progress you've made developing features and systems using Permaculture design principles on your land. I remember your work with establishing cover crops for soil building, water impoundments and other cropping schemes.

Here, at the pondeosa, I have completed a 10 year soil building program
and now have another experiment going: comparing functionality and production capacity of large, long raised planting beds
finished & left as is with my 1100 lb. Roll-A-Cone hiller-bedder
and the same but finished with an extra step by rototilling lightly across the tops of these beds to create a wider, lower bed with more area for planting and looser seedbed made by the tiller as opposed to hand loosening a narrower seedbed on much taller beds left as is by the hiller-bedder. I will have different crops planted in each of these two areas.

I have a sea of green out there - mixed turnips, kale, turnip greens, colards, mustard, etc. from my first 1 1/2 acre planting and am waiting for rain to germinate the second 1 1/2 acres planted in spinach, coriander, cabbage, mixed greens, hardy lettuce and carrots, some onions, chard, beets and more. A lot of this will probably survive the winter, especially the greens and do they taste good! Saute turnip greens/kale/mustard greens with olive oil, crushed red pepper, a little vinegar from pickled hot red peppers, sea salt with a few herbs (GH's Trocomare) and maybe some hot red pepper sauce. I pour all of this in a large wide bowl and mince 4 or 5 thumb-sized cloves of garlic into the hot greens. Serve with hot bread and good local pork sausage.
I am getting 50 lbs. of elephant garlic, softneck garlic, shallots and multiplying and walking onlions planted planted this week.

Cheers,

LL