permaculture - Re: [permaculture] people

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Pat Witten <alescere@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] people
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:58:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I recently joined and I've read many distributions. The web is great,
however, I'm wondering if anyone is practicing permaculture in Texas,
specifically Austin or Houston area, are there groups, meetings etc., real
people, tangible practical day-to-day evidence of working efforts?

Thanks for the forum.

Best Regards,
Pat

Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
hi
there was a good idea on new inventors abc sydney australia, he had a swiming
pool or tank, with that water he pumped it up to the roof where it flowed
along black tubes to heat up from sun [winter] down underneath floor where it
went through more pipes releasing the heat, and back to pool or tank, i
asumed in summer he just runs water under floor for cooling, i've also seen
this done with a tank in roof solar heated to produce hot water
William Genest wrote:
This is an imp't discussion for us IMO - Just read "The long
emergency - survivng the convergent catastrophes of the 21st century"
by James Howard Kunstler- Many permies have probably read his other
books too - He's hardly a fanatic but oy ! What a picture he paints !
Two points I would raise re: gene's post: One, SUV's getting 100 MPG
- the problem with energy conservation/innovation is that it masks
the problem i.e. we do more with less, prices stabilize and people go
back to consuming more - with more people using more oil ( rmemmber
exponential population growth and the rapid industrialization of the
third world !) you get a phenomenom like in California which in spite
of radically improved emissions standards over the years neverhteless
has worse air quality than ever.

2.It is not the disappeanace of oil in 40-50 years that is the
problem , but the slightest disruptions of supply that are imminent
- We forget how taut are the supply lines of food - that food = oil
- they are petro-chemical fertilizer, pesticides, fungides,
herbicides etc . And every bite of food travels 2000km and all of it
wrapped in plastic ( oil).... Never before have I more clearly
understood the need for a permanent agriculture....
3. Some areas of the world will do better than other - according to
Kunstler the southwest is doomed once the airc onditioning gets
truned off and the Northeast, with its history of democratic
cooperation and good farmland and water may do better ( though how
we'll heat our homes I have no idea).

4. All of this has to be contextualized with climate change,
disappearing forests, water, land etc. Political upheaval and the
general unsustianbility of everything we know - Americ'as might and
ability to keep the peace is entirely dependent on oil too...

William

On Oct 10, 2005, at 11:02 AM, efmonaco@comcast.net wrote:

> [...]
>> as a long, slow grind and general impoverishment
>> (in terms of energy and financial resources). I
>> think my particular city is well positioned to
>> meet those challenges (I live in Oklahoma City).
>> We have a million people in the metropolitan area,
>> but it is low density by the standards of say
>> Boston or New York City. We have 1/6th of an
>> acre, plus the city's easement, and you can do a
>> lot with that.
>>
>> Regarding the suburbs, I wonder if they will
>> perhaps be reborn as market gardens for the
>> central cities. It is possible, for example, that
>> today's upscale suburbs could become the low-rent
>> areas of the peak oil future. After all, many of
>> the poor areas of modern cities were once very
>> upscale neighborhoods. In the early years of the
>> decline of fossil fuels, I expect that a lot of
>> people with resources are going to move back into
>> cities, and probably displace poor people. Zoning
>> changes and the demise of neighborhood
>> associations will lead to these big houses being
>> chopped up into apartments. Since many of these
>> houses sit on large lots, and there tends to be a
>> lot of green space, it is not a big jump to see
>> those lawns turned into intensive food producing
>> gardens, both to produce food for the inhabitants
>> and a surplus to sell in the city.
>>
>> It's true, people in these retrofitted suburbs
>> won't be raising golden acres of grain, but I
>> personally expect that farming of basic staple
>> crops -- like beans and grains and corn for human
>> consumption -- to continue well into the future,
>> and that there will be enough fuel to move them
>> around. I sent a series of messages to
>> runningonempty2@yahoogroups.com which considered
>> the energy required to produce and deliver a basic
>> daily ration of beans and grains (2 pounds if I
>> remember correctly) to everybody in the country,
>> and assuming that (a) all imports were cut off,
>> and only domestic petroleum supplies were
>> available, and (b) that US oil production
>> continued to decline at its historical rate), it
>> would be 40 or 50 years out before there would not
>> be enough domestic oil production to provide that
>> amount of food to everyone in the country.
>>
>> I also expect that livestock production for meat
>> will continue, although the feedlot/confined
>> animal feeding operation system will die.
>>
>> Here in Oklahoma City, if I can get beans and
>> grain and some meat from farm country, I am pretty
>> confident that with what we can raise on our
>> former lawns we would have enough to eat. As
>> things change enough, Oklahoma City will probably
>> change its city ordinances and I could have
>> chickens which would be a real plus.
>>
>> I think over time the big megalopolises will
>> decline in population, and I think that more
>> people will move to rural areas, mostly to small
>> towns and that there will be some movement from
>> the colder parts of the country to the Sunbelt,
>> but I expect cities to endure for quite some time
>> and for there to be enough food to feed the people

Best Regards,

William Genest

- Founder Green Mountain Permaculture Institute of Vermont
Solutions, Sustenance, Sustainability
www.greenmountainpermaculture.com

- Creator "Regeneration - The Art of Sustainable Living"
>From "Something-Must-be-Done" to Something we can do !
www.regenerationshow.com

- Ecological Coordinator
Club St.Paul Ecological Golf Course

- Vice-President Green Party of Quebec "pour nous et nos enfants"
www.pvq.qc.ca

- National Spokesperson Green Party of Canada
"The Future is Now ! "
www.greenparty.ca