permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A Permanent Culture:-Rural or Urban or......

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A Permanent Culture:-Rural or Urban or......
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:38:52 -0400

Thank You Lawrence,

Having lived in both city and country, your sentiments rang true for me. I'm sure I consume much lest energy here in rural Maine than I did in NYC. I heat with my own wood instead of oil, grow a significant portion of my food, buy local for most of the rest. I travel less for leisure and can ride my bike to town. Most of our buildings are made with materials from our carefully managed woodlot and sawn with a small bandsaw mill. In the city, everything i touched was imported from fairly far away (much of NYC's food still comes from California or Central America.)

I can see how folks could burn a lot of fossil fuels living remotely if they commute to a city to work, heat a huge vinyl sided home with oil, and buy all their food at the supermarket. Like Toby said, there is so much we can do to conserve and renew, wherever we are, that it really doesn't matter where we live. As far as intentional communities all being doomed for failure; that seems so defeatist. Much progress is being made in that arena and it does hold a lot of promise for living lightly. It doesn't mean we have to forge our own nails or build all our own machines. It can mean a more efficient existence. I live with a small handful of people. Our experience is mostly that "many hands make light work" and it allows us all a certain degree of freedom while enabling us to maintain gardens and livestock. Our extended community, mostly based around our food coop is central to our being.

Much work to be done on all fronts!

In peace and solidarity,

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts & Ecology