permaculture - Re: [permaculture] psychedlics and permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] psychedlics and permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 01:32:46 -0400

Rain Tenaqiya wrote:
I'm surprised to find such conservative views about psychedelic substances posted by long-time members of this list.

Such substances are important to many shamanic cultures, which are often presented as models by permaculturists.

From personal experience, I know that psychedelic (which means 'clear mind') mushrooms and LSD can be important

eye-openers when taken outside as part of an observation exercise. Psychedelics are known to help one to perceive patterns,

an important aspect of the permaculture design process. They help one to break out of the usual routes of perception,

revealing things that have been overlooked in the past. Furthermore, they help erase boundaries between self and other,

and encourage identification with all of Nature. This helps us to go with wild Nature, rather than against it.
Anytime someone sanctions the use of socially acceptable drugs such as tobacco and alcohol at the expense of substances

such as psychedelics and marijuana, I just have to laugh. The former drugs cause much more harm to society in myriad ways

and the acceptance of individual drugs changes over time and across cultures.

Beautifully said. Classic.

Permaculture is not safe for mainstream society: we want to destroy it.

I'll have to take issue with that statement. PC should seek to enlighten, assist and ultimately institute change where change is needed, a process [erceived equally by teacher and student(s).

Therefore, we shouldn't be afraid to rock the boat from time to time by
advocating things that are not accepted by mainstream society.

Absolutely.

I hope I'm mostly just preaching to the choir on this one,

Should be mostly. Nicotine is a habit-forming drug and it does not let go easily. Alsohol is similar and has more potential for destroying individual's lives and their families. Tobacco does the same but takes longer through its debilitating effects and long term health care costs.

Rain