permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: New List

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: New List
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:39:59 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Toby Hemenway" <toby@patternliteracy.com>
To: "permaculture list" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

> I'd hate to think that I'd be booted for expressing an opinion, arguing a
> case, or making a suggestion. I understand that this list is not a
> democracy, that it is LL's property, that if he wants to boot someone
there
> is little anyone can do about it. But I think the subscribers are entitled
> to know, and to discuss, what behavior will get someone booted. Being
booted
> has taken a few people by complete surprise, and there's no need for that
> happen.
>
> Toby

If it's any help, here are the 'ground rules' I drew up for a yahoo groiup
that I set up and moderate. Feel free to adapt, adopt, plagiarise, utilise
or ignore completely!

Graham

This message is auto-sent to all new subscribers, and also to all members on
a monthly basis

Eco vegans & earth citizens- some ground rules.

In addition to the introductory message you should have recieved when you
joined this list, here's a few relatively informal ground rules to help keep
the group on track (I hope).

1. This list is intended to be a safe space for people who broadly agree
with it's aims to chat, debate, share information, learn from each other and
mutually benefit. People come here for different reasons and have many
different agendas, and there will be people here with strongly held views
who often won't agree on all issues. That's fine as long as the atmosphere
remains constructive, positive, respectful and non-threatening.

Sometimes it's a thin line between banter, heated argument and
confrontational attacks, but if things are clearly becomming personalised or
antagonistic to a degree which is causing distress either to the individuals
concerned, or the group as a whole, back off. Go and have a cup of tea and
contemplate Steven Covey's Fifth Habit Of Highly Effective People; "Seek
first to understand before you seek to be understood" before you hit
'reply'. If you can't back off, it's possible you will be placed on
moderation, and as a last resort removed from the list.

That might seem like censorship to some, but these are the ground rules that
have been requested for and by this community- there are plenty of other
spaces in cyberspace for no holds barred confrontation.

2. Sometimes things meander into areas which on the surface don't have a
great deal to do with the list description- thats fine as long as the posts
are marked 'off topic', but if you really want to get into a deep
conversation with one other member about the artistic merits of the third
Clash LP, take it off list.

3. Snip snip snip- when replying to earlier messages, please remember to
trim posts, leaving only those parts that are relevant to what you have to
add!!! Failure to do this is particularly irritating to those who subscribe
in digest mode, besides, it's cyber pollution, and as eco vegans we don't
like that do we???

You probably won't get moderated for points 2 & 3 (and yes i know that I'm
sometimes guilty as charged as well..), but you might get sent in the corner
by the rest of the community!!!

Moderators word is final. I'll try & be fair, but at the end of the day I'm
a busy person in real life too, and might end up making decisions that might
seem arbitrary, but so it goes... I'm a gardener not a lawyer!!

Have fun and take care of each other.

ground rules drafted by graham 13/3/2002, to be amended as and when
required.