permaculture - [permaculture] experimental feeler

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] experimental feeler
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:21:43 +0000 (UTC)

This email is a probe looking for interest in the phenomena of *youth in permaculture* -- would the youngs in the No. American permaculture sphere
organize together, if given the chance?

What do I mean when I say "youth"?
Age ain't nothing but a number. Youth, 'tho, is a quality. In the current society (ahem, in all societies thus far), wealth and power are held by the olds. The "youngs" are denied power and property, and their views are considered too chaotic to be trusted. In this sense, there are many "aged" people I know who I'd also consider "young".

One of the resources in young people is what they describe as a "problem". Capitalism, racism, machoism, and privately-owned land are considered problems by many of the youngs in the permaculture movement. They prod each other into moments of inspired eloquence when they share their experiences. What is missing is a forum for their proposals and organizations to make shape together...

Why is this email entitled "experimental feeler"?
As a young permaculture designer, I've been sticking out my toe, touching the pool of young Permaculture people in No. America, and posing the question: would some of the "youth in Permaculture" combine themselves, to declare a further distinguishing description of themselves ? What do the youngs offer that no one else does? Quite a lot, but not often simultaneously. This email is an invitation to be input to making such an event happen...

Young people, this is a call for proposals -- when can we talk?!

Rob Scott
Urbana Permaculture Project

  • [permaculture] experimental feeler, robscott@freeshell.org, 03/25/2005