permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: New List

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: New List
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:18:18 -0800

On 3/25/05 4:52 AM, "Greg" <FarmerGreg@UrbanFarm.org> wrote:

> There are also the people that have been booted from the list for
> expressing their opinions (Michael being one of them, did you know he
> is no longer on this list)

I'm glad that this is out in the open. I'd like to have a better
understanding of what behavior is prohibited from this list. I recognize
that suggesting that the founder and owner of the list be replaced is not a
wise move, even though I don't agree that it's a bootable offense. I
understand and agree that a persistent flamer is liable to get booted.

Flaming and rude behavior to me, though, is not bringing up "dumb" ideas or
making unpopular suggestions. It is not disagreeing with what someone says,
nor is it even getting a little heated or expressing frustration when
someone doesn't get what you say. Flaming is abusive behavior, personal
attacks intended to wound, name-calling, and the like. I've seen little of
what I'd call flaming or attacks on this list (there's been a bit of it
lately).

A list seems best when it is self-organizing and self-regulating by its own
members. To me, a subscriber moves into the bootable category when a number
of people remark on line that the person is being abusive. We had a case
like that a while back in the "why does PC cost so much" thread. That wasn't
the case with Michael.

I'd hate to think that I'd be booted for expressing an opinion, arguing a
case, or making a suggestion. I understand that this list is not a
democracy, that it is LL's property, that if he wants to boot someone there
is little anyone can do about it. But I think the subscribers are entitled
to know, and to discuss, what behavior will get someone booted. Being booted
has taken a few people by complete surprise, and there's no need for that to
happen.

Toby
www.patternliteracy.com