permaculture - [permaculture] Persimmon Guild

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: J Hobbs <hobbsj@efn.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Persimmon Guild
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:10:14 -0800

--

Hello JB.

I, too, love permissons-- especially dried. I planted a 'Fuyu' in front of our office in Eugene, Oregon. Finally produced fruit after 7 years!! It is a mid-story plant with a 50 year old Acer macrophyllum (Bigleaf maple) as an overstory to the Northwest -- as a persimmon guild I planted Lonicera piliata (evergreen honeysuckle), pyracantha prostrata, Lion's Mane- which blooms a similar color to the ripe persimmon, yarrow, echinacea- germander, low gro comapanula, bulbs-daffodils, violas, daylillies, african daisies, heirloom roses from original planting, Arbutus unedo (strawberry tree,) Ceonothus 'Pt. Reyes' (as N-fixer), low ground covers, Actostaphylos uva ursi (Kinnickinnick- on south edge) Asarum caudatum (wild ginger on north side) ...

That's all I can think of, at the moment..

Good Luck,

Jude

I'm familiar on a basic/moderate level with guild design and the
principals used to determine good ecological foodscapes... however, i
haven't gotten past what i've read on more than a basic level... what i
mean by that is that i understand the principals in the apple guild and
the walnut guild, but when it comes to building something around a
persimmon or an almond or a sassifrass, i'm stuck trying to apply the
same principals to those trees as are applied to the walnut and apple,
and while i think that it would work, its probably not going to work as
well as if things were geared toward the individual trees specifically.
So, what i ask of you is either one of two things.
1) A list of several successful guild designs that you've created
(especially one built with the persimmon... I just love persimmons)
2) A reference that would provide that knowledge, or explain it better
than i already know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i do mean that. Permaculture has
become probably the most active interest i've ever had, and this is
where i'm stuck right now. Thank you very much.

JB