permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:51:47 -0800

Clint Popetz wrote:

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 07:36:14AM -0800, Paul Wheaton wrote:

A friend told me yesterday about a shrub called "goumi". The fruit looks a
little like a
cherry and "tastes like PEZ". He says the bush is nitorgen fixing!!

I just ordered a bunch of siberian pea shrubs, honey locust trees and russian
olive
trees, all because they are nitrogen fixing and provide food for
chickens/pigs/cattle/etc.

Russian olive = elaeagnus fruitlandi, elaeagnus angustifolis, etc., many
varieties
Extremely valuable shrub.

Aiee, be very careful about russian olive (and its relative autumn
olive.) They are both very invasive. Birds eat their berries and
disperse the seeds, and they resprout after cutting/burning. "Ripping
out Autumn Olive" is a regular task for a friend of mine managing a
chunk of land where the bushes were intentionally planted years ago on
government recommendation to prevent soil erosion. They're swarming
all over the place, steadily shading out or strangling other species.
In the west, they're eating away at riparian woodlands.

The sky is not falling. It _may_ me mildly invasive and possibly a problem IF
soil conditions, climate and rainfall are conducive to rampant growth of the
seedlings.

Plant more KUDZU!!

--
L.F.London