permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:59:40 EST

Happy New Year to all!

Lots of comments on shredding hay, leaves to improve soil quality.

I certainly don't disagree with that:) And yes it is labor intensive.

While this makes sense on a small scale I really don't see it as a practical
option on a farm scale...especially if you don't have lots of machinery, or
can afford to hire labor.

Shoot I'd love to shred all those hay bale left overs, but handling all that
hay is some job. Just picking it up and feeding it into a shredder is far
more
work than I'd care to undertake at any age let alone at mine. I'd be forever
doing tasks like that with no appreciable dent in the workload.

Even moving earth to where it might help is far more difficult on almost any
scale is far more difficult than this ex city slicker would have imagined.

Now please don't get upset, but I find many ideas are just NOT practicable or
doable on a farm of any size.

Another example I have lots of woods...yet there is no way I could harvest
and use all the downed trees, or firewood. In fact just doing timber stand
improvement is tough if you have other farm enterprises, and no other labor.
Besides hiring the work done is not affordable.

Best to all. Frank