permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Coppicing Dogwoods

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Coppicing Dogwoods
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:04:35 -0400

Generally dogwood is a slow grower and not terribly suitable for coppice as, especially in the south, it is susceptible to some kind of blight. It makes a heckuva firewood for those three dogwood nights (three logs can provide coals through the night into the following afternoon).
Keith

Mike Sabin wrote:

Hi all -
I'm new to the list; just bought a home on ~0.8 acre in SE Tennessee,
USA, that I'm trying to reconfigure to provide some useful products for my family. I've got a row of 8 or 9 dogwood trees stretching about
25-30 meters or so, that I'd like to take down, so that I could have a
row of various types of fruit trees instead. I was thinking that I
might manage the old dogwood stumps for coppice wood. The dogwood trees
range in caliper from about 15 to 25 cm. Would my idea be viable? How
far above grade should I cut the trees, and what can I expect in terms
of harvest rate, etc. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

--
Keith Johnson