permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 5, Issue 43

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Charles Knoles <charles@growfood.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 5, Issue 43
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:34:31 -0500

Friends of mine have spotted fruiting bunyas in Vancouver, Canada!

Message: 8
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:24:58 +1000
From: Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Food in the suburbs - wild, feral and
cultivated
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

I guess Melbourne is as far south as they can grow. There's always
tasmania - I lived there but saw no bunya pines. It is possible they
could grow on the Tas east coast, where it is warmer and snow-free, but
I wonder if it would fruit?

The tree's habitat is the mountains of SE Qld, so that is is cooler
climatic than the coasts, which I guess makes the tree somewhat cold
hardy.

...Russ