permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Food in the suburbs - wild, feral and cultivated

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Food in the suburbs - wild, feral and cultivated
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:24:58 +1000

I guess Melbourne is as far south as they can grow. There's always tasmania - I lived there but saw no bunya pines. It is possible they could grow on the Tas east coast, where it is warmer and snow-free, but I wonder if it would fruit?

The tree's habitat is the mountains of SE Qld, so that is is cooler climatic than the coasts, which I guess makes the tree somewhat cold hardy.

...Russ