permaculture - [permaculture] ponds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] ponds
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:38:14 -0400

I have a small fishless pond that I'm expereimenting with. "Innoculated" it with good pond water, transferred some lili pads etc.....all seemed good last year. This year ( year 2) it's scummy, dead looking... blech!

What went wrong ? I figured the "right " bacteria/microorganisms along with plants for aerationn/purification would cut the mustard, instead it's the water itself that looks thick enough to be cut....

Would a pump/aerator do the trick ?

Claude

Also, Kirby wrote:

One consideration that is growing around our demonstration site is that
folks really need to be enticed and lured into a permaculture landscape.
When I look around in our gardens I see the Garden of Eden but when visitors
come to take a look at our demonstration site they see a bunch of weeds
(cover crops) and muddy ponds.

People need eye candy if they're going to buy into something.

Boy , do I sympathize with this ! My neighborhood is all about rigorously mowed lawns. Neighbors see my unkempt place and see habitat for mosquitoes..... If West Nile panic gets any worse, I may soon move from public nuisance to public enemy !

I find it so hard to balance "neat and pretty" with ecological permaculture...