permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Re: Elaeagnus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Johanna Huss Dowd" <johanna_dowd@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Re: Elaeagnus
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 09:54:45 -0400

> Hi,
> Thanks, Scott, and also Johanna, for your comments.
> It's interesting to read that Elaeagnus may have become something of a
> noxious weed in New Mexico.
> Thankfully, there is no evidence of that happening here in Ireland.
> I planted some Elaeagnus umbellata as nitrogen fixers/nurse plants in a
> mixed hedge, and possibly for some fruit for me and/or the birds.
> I am delighted to hear that it can be coppiced. It'll be a few years yet
> before I will attempt that as the plants are quite young but I might
> give the goats a wee taste in the autumn.
> Scott, do you do basketry or are you planning on selling basket willow?

Here in my area (New Jersey) it is also listed among the most invasive
species and the farmers around here do not like them at all.
Another thing I should mention, they do not fruit if they are cut down every
year. So keep that in mind if you want to grow them for food.
I let one of them grow up last year as a nurse plant for a persimmon tree I
planted next to it, so I'll see how long it takes for the shrub to bear.

Johanna