permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Goat browse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Goat browse
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:38:56 +0100

Hi Rick,
You are right, it depends on stocking density, duration of presence,
season etc. Goats are excellent 'tools' in clearing certain types of
grasslands from invading scrub, too. My guess is that if you are really
trying to get rid of one or two species, such as in Johanna's case, you
will need to concentrate and confine the goats in such a way that you
will also loose a lot of the other plants. As she has explained though
she can confine them in patch that hosts exclusively the two species she
is trying to control.
I'd be very interested in more detail on the examples you cite. Do you
have any more info / links on that? (Not for my own situation but for
the feral Burren goats nearby, see
http://www.burrenbeo.com/goatfarm.htm; I'm looking for examples of goats
being used in landscape management).

Thanks,