permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Elaeagnus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Elaeagnus
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:22:34 +0100

Hi,
Thanks, Scott, and also Johanna, for your comments.
It's interesting to read that Elaeagnus may have become something of a
noxious weed in New Mexico.
Thankfully, there is no evidence of that happening here in Ireland.
I planted some Elaeagnus umbellata as nitrogen fixers/nurse plants in a
mixed hedge, and possibly for some fruit for me and/or the birds.
I am delighted to hear that it can be coppiced. It'll be a few years yet
before I will attempt that as the plants are quite young but I might
give the goats a wee taste in the autumn.
Scott, do you do basketry or are you planning on selling basket willow?

Happy Easter.
Ute