permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Goat browse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Goat browse
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 16:11:00 +0100

Hi again, Johanna,
I don't know about the honeysuckle (my guess is they will eat them) but
Rosa species: yes. With gusto.
But I wouldn't let goats loose in a woodland. They'd browse and possibly
kill other woody plants too.
I never let the goats get to the woody plants but cut and throw stuff
into their paddocks, then gather the remaining sticks up for use as
markers, poles, kindling etc.
They are great at taking the bark of willow sticks/poles which means I
can then use them without the danger of having them resprout once they
are in the ground.

Slán,
Ute