permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Elaeagnus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Elaeagnus
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 16:28:31 +0100

Johanna Huss Dowd wrote:

[snip]

> Here in my area (New Jersey) it is also listed among the most invasive
> species and the farmers around here do not like them at all.
> Another thing I should mention, they do not fruit if they are cut down every
> year. So keep that in mind if you want to grow them for food.

True. I only planted E. umbellata as it was the only one available here.
I believe the fruit aren't that great. There prime function at present
is as nurse plants.
I am trying to source other species and varieties which are more
promising in terms of fruit size and taste (E. multiflora. E. pungens.
and E. x ebbingii perhaps).

> I let one of them grow up last year as a nurse plant for a persimmon tree I
> planted next to it, so I'll see how long it takes for the shrub to bear.

That 'd be interesting.

> Johanna

Ute