permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Shout out for permaculture recipes.... (UK bias)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Shout out for permaculture recipes.... (UK bias)
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 13:03:48 +0100

Hi Graham and all,
not sure whether this is dogmatic enough :) but one my favourites has to
be Worcesterberry jam made with
c. 60% Worcesterberries
c. 40% honey
and as a gelling agent (this is the part that may be not close enough to
home) a product called Configel which is made from apple pectin and
starch (c. 15g to a kg of fruit or a litre of juice).

Fruit and honey are brought to the boil, Configel is added, it's boiled
for 5 minutes and then filled into sterile (boiled out) twist-off jars.
Unopened it lasts for years. Opened the jam has to be kept cool and
eaten wihin about 10 days (no problem! so tasty).

The tricky part is that Configel is not available here in Ireland, not
sure about GB. I bring it back from the health food shop in Germany when
I go over. The reason I use it is that it does not require sugar to be
added to the jam to set it, and it does not contain gelatine. In fact no
sweetener at all is required to set the jam and one can add as much or
as little of any sweetener available as one likes for the desired level
of sweetness. I use it for all my jams (black current, red current,
raspberry, blackberry etc.) at c 60% fruit / 40% honey or even less for
very sweet fruit which makes a VERY fruity jam, unlike the sugary stuff
(50/50 or 40/60) one can buy in the supermarket. Configel was developed
in Germany after WWII when sugar was a rare commodity.

Worcesterberry is a great alternative to gooseberries IMHO. It is
extremely vigourous, high yielding, a good bee plant, and makes a good,
dense, thorny, if low, hedge. I have had problems with gooseberry sawfly
on it - still got a surprisingly good yield though in that year - but is
does not seem to get American mildew like gooseberries do.
Since it is very thorny, small birds seem to feel safe in it, as
attested by lots of bird droppings underneath, which fertilize it at the
same time ('guano'). All it needs is a bit of thinning during dormancy
and perhaps some mulch (I use cardboard, spoiled hay, and comfrey
leaves). There is a picture of the fruit at
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-online/profclogher2.html

HTH
Happy Easter.

Ute