permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement Building Project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement Building Project
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:46:14 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> Thats the stuff. I see it in a lot of widths and shapes at the local
> pre-cast concrete products factory, not sure if it is ordered that way
> or if they form it there.

Right. That's used in cast/poured concrete applications, especially
slabs...just put some in some formed steps myself.

> Why not use standard concrete fiber (fiberglass I think) rather than
> mess with all that chicken wire?

You mean what's called 'engineering fibers'? Dunno. With a good FC
armature of close-knit mesh (of whatever kind) I don't know that they'd
add much. Don't know how they'd affect the 'trowelability' of the
material either.

> the stuff
> tends to rust out fairly promptly with moisture and is a coated wire,
> dissimilar metals tend to have corrosion problems as they form mild
> electric currents and move atoms around.

So wouldn't expanded metal lath have the same issues? It's a galvanized
metal product...?

> Has anyone knocked apart some
> of this chicken wire reinforced material after a few years? Be
> interesting to know if the CW held up.

Perhaps I'll get back to you in a couple years... ;-)

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration