permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement Building Project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement Building Project
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:15:09 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> well, this tool sounds like something a lot of us would love to track
> down. Any idea how to get a hold of him? This is I gotta see.

I dunno - I'll add it to my 'to-do' list when I get out there later this
winter. I knew someone who knew someone who...etc., but if the person is
still on the island I'll see what I can do (and, don't hold your
breath...a bit of tinkering and you might come up with your own such
goodie sooner... ;-)

> When working on the FC Cistern at Lama I learned a trick so that you
> avoid having someone placing wires. Bend the wires in a J shape instead
> of a U shape, so that one leg is 1" / 3cm longer than the other.

Yeah, I did that sometimes; mostly I'd just place a whole bunch from one
side, then go around the other side and twist them all, and repeat...it's
easier when it's a small building with doors to go through instead of
having to climb into and out of a cistern... :-)

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration