permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ducks, gees, chickens, no-till

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ducks, gees, chickens, no-till
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:33:51 -0700

>> I would like to hear expierences from people using ducks, geese or chickens
>> for weeds control (especially grasses), pest control, fertilizering and bed
>> preperation. I'm not interested in the meat or eggs just the above
>> mentioned benefiets.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel

My weeder geese authority is Ann Schwartz of Rockport WA, who credits her
weeder geese with making her mostly potato & raspberry & strawberry & goose
operation viable by eating grasses. She uses orange plastic electified mesh
fencing, and gets a new flock each spring. Otherwise you have to consider
overwintering expenses and older birds aren't as hungry. I suppose the
traditional way would be to keep a small breeding flock going at all times,
but you'll have surplus birds if you keep the carnivores away. I have heard
that the new OG standards with their restrictions on animals being amongst
the crops has bugged her no end, perhaps, ironically, it will even make it
impossible for her to continue as "certified"
-Rick

-Rick