permaculture - [permaculture] organic certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] organic certification
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:31:29 -0600

At 04:33 PM 11/27/02 -0700, you wrote:
. I have heard
that the new OG standards with their restrictions on animals being amongst
the crops has bugged her no end, perhaps, ironically, it will even make it
impossible for her to continue as "certified"
-Rick

I think there will be a lot of smaller operations getting out of certified production due to the new standards. What used to be a minor pain is now a serious hassle. Personally I would like to see some kind of less "stringent" certification based on animal welfare, soil health and aquifer health; I would like to be able to use wormers, drugs when called for and helpful, but not organic fertilizers.
Mark L