permaculture - Re: [permaculture] corn burning and straw building

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jerome Osentowski" <jerome@crmpi.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] corn burning and straw building
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:37:27 -0700

Regarding strawbale greenhouses: I have been growing in and constuling on
greenhouse construction for the last fifteen years, I also work with John
Cruichshank, sunyjohn.com and hobbithouse@compuserve.com Strawbales might
be ok for a simple greenhouse structure that you do not put a lot of $'s and
time into, and if it doesn't work you won't be out much. The main problem
with straw is the potential of the bales getting wet or taking up all the
moisture that is in the greenhouse. The second problem with bales is that
they are only good for insulation and do not help add thremo mass. Just
because it is a good material for building your house doesn't mean it will
work on greenhouse. You need to check it out against the pc principles.
Let me remind you about some other ideas that did not work out in the past.
Chicken and compost in greenhouse both turned out to be , not such a good
idea, both creating toxic air and gas. But when the idea first came out,
many rushed to try it out, only to scrap the system later.

The Water for heating is another hair brain idea. Why bother with all the
pipeing any plumbing , and heating water to pipe into the soil to heat the
greenhouse, when you have all that free hot moist air in the greenhouse
every day. We have been working with a system that blows this hot air
through the soil with 4" ADS flexible pipes . This system preforms four
functions. it heats the soil. takes the moisture out of the air, ie. there
is a faze change when the moist air contacts the cool pipes, It alo
circulates the air, also cools the green house during the day, at the same
time it is heating the soil. At night a different thermostat turns on the
same small
fan to discharge the soil and put 60 deg air into the greenhouse. This is
your back up system. I also add a wood sauna for a second back up . If
you do something , see how many functions it will preform. John C. has
this system on his web site. we will have it up on ours soon. Our latest
design was down in Durango on a 80 foot house. there should be photos up
on that project. I have just redesigned my 60 foot house that is now a
indoor
forest garden for med. and worm temperate and some tropical plants. The
same heating system that i insstalled 15 years ago still works. We got
through one night of 0 deg with the help of a sauna last week.

With the forest garden model and adding lots of flowering plants , mostly
umbols. we create habatat for benifical insects. We have been growing in
these greenhouses with no major outbrakes of pest insects for 15 years.
A few years ago Mr. Coleman came to see how we were able to grow yeararound
without major insects problems. He went home and put his greenhouse on a
track, so he could freeze out the ground. on alternate years. That system
might not work so good here in the Rocky's unless you wanted to use your
greenhouse as a houseboat in lake powell for the winter. I have two fennel
plants in one greenhouse that have been there for 15 years. , they do most
of the hosting and IPM for the benificials and also host the wasp that
polenates the fig trees. We also never add compost,because we just add
leaves or mulch at different times of the year, and let the worms do the
work. Does that sound too easy? We also use comfery and manure teas during
the gorwing season. If you can improve on that system , be my gest.
Jerome

--
Jerome Osentowski, Director
Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute

Tel/fax (970) 927-4158 E mail: jerome@crmpi.org

For more information, please visit our web site at <<www.crmpi.org>>