permaculture - Re: [permaculture] corn burning and straw building

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] corn burning and straw building
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 00:23:26 -0800

Meg Mullett wrote:
Hello,

My family and I moved to our little farm in NE Kansas 2 years ago. We've got
12.5 acres, a little 70 yr old house, 1 acre of vineyard, a small orchard, a
little woods and several acres of pasture. We spent the first year mostly
just
seeing what's here and putting in our vineyard. (I'm a winemaker) The second
we
started a large garden and got a couple pigs. This coming year we wish to
fence
more and add some more animals. We're thinking about chickens (a few for
eggs),
guinea hens (for bugs in the vineyard) and some meat goats (helping to clear
some brushy areas and for cash - we've got large hispanic and muslim
populations
in Kansas City and we believe we've got a good market for them).

Hello Meg and welcome to the permaculture list, glad you found us. I just
watched the
last episode of Frontier House on PBS TV so am pretty fired up about the rural
homesteading life. Soon I hope to get chickens (Dominiques and Aeaucanas and
some
mixed breed hybrid meat bird) this Winter and goats and sheep for meat only
next Spring.
Sheep: Gulf Coast (very low maintenance and feeding needs)
Goats: Boer (put on a lot of meat)

I am looking for more info on these breeds and also sources for them.

Forgot about pigs, maybe I should consider getting a few of them too.

I got on beehive set up this Summer and plan on several more next year.

You might want to consider joining Nafex since you are into grape growiing;
they have their mailing list (NAFEX
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex)
at the same location as this list.

Cheers and hope to hear more about your homestead.

Lawrence
Chapel Hill, NC
--
L.F.London