permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 1/2 v trencher, moldboard plowm trenches

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 1/2 v trencher, moldboard plowm trenches
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:26:49 EST

Good day,

In a message dated 11/17/02 11:45:18 PM, lfl@intrex.net writes:

<< Frank should consider getting the Keyline System and a one row hilling
discs implement; with those two tools
he could manage fields and pastures and work garden and orchard space. >>

The one row hilling disks sound like a good tool to have.

I'm not sure about the keyline plows. They are a bit too costly. I need to
keep costs down...have already invested far more than planned. There are so
many labor saving goodies that have strong appeal to that lonesome farmer:)

Larry, I bought a JD Field cultivator . It is about 13 feet wide, and has
numerous adjustable chisel point shanks. It actually looks a bit like a
Keyline plow.

However it really looks like a machine like this could possibly be set up to
do some of the things we are talking about, but some have said it would
really tear up the pasture too much. I get Fast Line Used farm equipment
catalog, but I see very few ads for the kind of equipment you folks mention.

Can a mold board plow be used to create drainage ditches on either side of a
farm dirt road? How much HP would your tractor need? How deep could you cut?
And how wide a ditch could it cut, and would that ditch be wide enough?

I thought those hiller type discs cut fairly narrow slits? Thanks. Frank