permaculture - [permaculture] Animals in a greenhouse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Animals in a greenhouse
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:14:51 -0600

This was an excellent post, many good ideas! Only one small quibble...

At 08:37 AM 11/18/02 -0700, you wrote:
Let me remind you about some other ideas that did not work out in the past.
Chicken and compost in greenhouse both turned out to be , not such a good
idea, both creating toxic air and gas. But when the idea first came out,
many rushed to try it out, only to scrap the system later.

This may get a bit beyond PC for some of you, but I think greenhouses (and other hoop structures) make swell barns for many types of livestock. A few tricks...
Vent the ridge! being able to open and close the ridge or just leaving it open is very helpful when trying to get the excess moisture and stink animal husbandry produces. Being able to roll up the plastic on the sides helps too. The other issue is keeping the animals from destroying the plastic. Use cattle panels or other high quality restraint.