permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Poplars ||| Save The Trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Poplars ||| Save The Trees
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:04:36 -0600

At 10:19 AM 11/14/02 -0600, you wrote:
It is as long lived as many deciduous shade trees, maple for one.

Larry's correct here to some extent. Popplers are vigorous sprouters from the root, in fact a small patch of them is typically all a clone of one pioneer tree. To that extent they are surly long lived and persistent. As far as maples, the soft species are indeed short lived and prone to shedding limbs, in fact I consider them a very poor choice for landscape trees for this reason. The house I rent has three of them around it, one of which will surely smash up the roof at some point. The hard sugar maples on the other hand are very long lived and durable trees. I have seen one patch of old growth with three giant maples, truly awesome trees. 1.5 meter DBH!

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK